Friday, September 19, 2008

peace, mommy-world & Will's latest tricks

I have surprising peace about this trip.  People must be praying (thank you, people!).  I feel it's coming at the right time, God has organized the easiest possible route, I have people to help me sort our stuff in Asia, Will is still at a fairly easy age to travel (i.e., not very mobile yet, still breastfeeding)... lots of positives.  I'm pretty well sorted with my packing, and was surprised how much room was left in mine/Will's shared suitcase after I took out his bed! (Thanks for the tip, Mom!)  It's only a small 2kg travel bed, but it does take up a third of the room and I was worried for a while I'd have to wear every single piece of clothing I wanted to bring!  I'm not feeling nearly as stressed out as I normally would be the day before a 3-week+ trip, which is amazing... and can only be attributed to God.  :)

I had a thought today as I was pushing Will down to the shops in his buggy... I was reading a college friend's blog last night.  She's a mom of 3 kids under 4, immersed in bedtime routines, sippy cups, preschool, every-day catastrophes, and generally the mundane-ness of life with small kids.  While reading her description of the preciousness of hearing two cute "I wuve you, Mommy"s at bedtime (instead of the normal "I have to go pee-pee" or "I need a dwink"), I had this thought: I still remember what it was like to be a small kid myself, and here I am parenting one?  I am part of the "young-mom" club.  How did this happen? (Ok, no snide comments, peanut gallery...)  I feel like I've plunged into a completely new perspective of being a mom and having a small child, but I can clearly remember what it felt like to be a child myself!  I hardly feel old enough to have one of my own!  I had one of those weird perspective moments where you look at yourself as if through someone else's eyes: from the outside it all appears perfectly normal, and with a shock you realize you're inside your own skin and it's your life you're seeing!

In other news... Will's latest tricks are: pointing, rolling over onto his tummy in bed and getting stuck under his covers, almost-waving (but never on-command), trying out his squinchy "please/thank-you" smile to get what he wants, yelling/arching his back/scratching out at Mom or Dad when displeased (not so thrilled with that one), waking himself up in the middle of the night the past three nights for no apparent reason other than that he decided he was missing the action and wanted to be awake.  Great.  New phase?  Hope not.  Wonderful timing, huh?-- right before we fly around the world.  Here comes our 12-hour flight to Bangkok tomorrow... anybody know of any herbal sleep remedies-that-are-not-drugs-but-have-the-same-effect?

(Sorry no photos-- hope to buy a new camera soon...)

0 comments:

Post a CommentBest Blogger Tips